Dear Winnona Park Elementary School Families,
Summer break is drawing to a close and soon it will be time to begin another year of growth and learning at our lovely little school. On behalf of the PTA, I extend a warm welcome to the Class of 2020 families and to all newcomers joining our community this year. One of the mottos we live by at WPES is that “It’s love that builds community.” You will soon learn that there is a whole lotta’ love around here!
With the support of this giving community, the WPES PTA generated record funds in 2014-2015. Our top three fundraising events alone—the Read-A-Thon, Holiday Tree Sale and Spring Auction—earned a net income of over $50,000! We are excited to keep this momentum going into 2015-2016 and accept the challenge to aim even higher this year so we can continue to support our teachers and students as they teach and learn using the Expeditionary Learning model.
WPES is consistently ranked one of the top elementary schools in the state. Alongside an exceptional administration and faculty, our school has achieved this level of excellence because parents participate fully in our children’s education with donations of time, effort, and money. Through our PTA, our families ensure a rich and well-rounded academic experience for ALL WPES children. So please, be involved: Volunteer your time. Give us your thoughts. Jump in and help. Ask questions. Donate what you can.
Everyone is busy, but we ask you to find some way to help contribute to your child’s educational experience. Joining the PTA at one of our back to school functions or online at the WPES PTA website, http://www.winnonaparkpta.org, is one way to do this. Your PTA membership allows you to:
- Get Connected: Active members are listed in the PTA membership directory and receive timely communications about PTA happenings.
- Tap into a Network: PTA functions and duties provide opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, build rapport and discuss issues. You can also share ideas, concerns, classifieds and informal announcements online by joining the school community Facebook group. Search for ‘WPES Community’ on Facebook to join.
- Witness Improvement: By getting involved you’ll be part of the solution by helping make positive changes. The WPES PTA plays an important role in raising funds to provide building/grounds improvements, support Expeditionary Learning and fieldwork programs, enable staff/teacher development, and sponsor community-building events.
- Feel Good: By volunteering to be a room parent, committee member or PTA volunteer you will have the opportunity to put your skills and creativity to great use for a great cause. Our PTA is as strong as its volunteers and we are lucky to be part of a diverse and talented community. Even an hour of your time will help.
- Be a Role Model: The most important reason to join the PTA is the impact you will make in your child’s life by showing them that their education is important to you!
We hope to see you at the annual Back-to-School Popsicle Social & Picnic immediately following the Meet and Greet on Thursday, 7/30. Buy dinner from the food trucks, or pack your own, grab a picnic blanket from the car, and come to share a meal and reconnect with your WPES community before the start of a new year. We also invite you to stop by the café after drop off on the first day of school to enjoy coffee and doughnuts, courtesy of our fellow WPES parents, Maria and Joel Riggs of Revolution Doughnuts fame, and take a peek at what we have in store for 2015-2016.
Thank you for your support and best wishes for a wonderful school year!
WPES PTA President
(and mom to Amalia, class of 2016, and Sylvia, class of 2018)